Coconut flan and the Weekend Labor of love !

The sinfully delicious coconut flan.Yes, another Mexican treat which also happens to be my weekend labor of love. It's Cinco De Mayo time after all and I am doing my wee bit to contribute to the culinary fiesta. It's not that I haven't dabbled in Mexican cuisine before . A memory trip to the start of 2015 will confirm that I was mildly obsessed with all culinary things Mexican . Be it the Mexican Brownies or savory corn bread, I was giving it my full attention . Both of them also happen to be excellent choice for your fiesta party by the way . Now , you have the dessert covered with this out if the world delicious recipe for coconut flan . You have to give this one a try and please don't forget to leave a thank you later :-)
When we talk of coconut flan, there are plenty of recipes available  but finding one that didn't require ridiculous amount of condensed milk/sugar and was at the same time relatively easy was an impossible task. As usual ,  I decided to take matters in my own hands and came up with this recipe which uses one third the sugar than Marcela Valladoid's but still tastes divine. My toughest critics are in my house and everyone of them gave it their thumb of approval which in itself is no mean feat. So , now we can finally pronounce it as a foolproof recipe and is guaranteed to wow your guests at your next fiesta.
Ingredients -
4 eggs
1/s tsp salt
1 cup caramel sauce ( I used the Hershey's one )
1 can condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 can coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Shredded coconut for garnishing

Method
Grease any baking pan of your choice and pre heat the oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C.
Pour the caramel sauce on the pan making sure it coats it completely on the bottom and sides.
Now in a blender, mix the eggs, three milks(cococnut, condensed and evaporated) along with salt and vanilla extract.
Pour this mixure into the caramel coated pan and place this pan inside a bigger baking dish. Fill the latter with water so that it covers half of the caramel pan containing the mixture.
Cover with aluminium foil and bake it till a toothpick inserted comes out clean  ..normally it takes more than an hour..for me it was 1 hour 40 mins.
Cool for some time and let it refrigerate overnight.This will ensure better result.
Take it out and let stand for 10-15 mins. Now run a knife along it's edges to loosen it up.
Invert on a serving dish and garnish with sweetened coconut flakes. You may toast them too but I was in a hurry to eat :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The quintessential Punjabi kadhi and Guru ka Langar !

Themed Cake for our Hercule Poirot's Christmas Book Club Party

Cottage Cheese Cookies and Gourmet Recipes !