Spinach Egg Muffins and Cold Mornings



 The winter storm may have spared us but it still is very cold here in the Carolinas. These spinach egg muffins along with a cup of tea make cold winter mornings perfect ! Not that I needed a reason to enjoy these savory treats . Egg muffins have been on my  "to bake soon" list for quite some time and today's frigid cold morning gave me the perfect excuse to give them a try . 

I have two school goings kids and believe me when I say enforcing healthy breakfast options in the morning rush time is challenging ...but not impossible. Healthy breakfast muffins have come to my rescue in the past too..remember these banana oatmeal muffins ...they are fool proof and a great hit with the kids and hubby , every time I bake them.




I love savory muffins as a healthy breakfast option because of their ease of preparation. Sure, you have to chop a few veggies , beat the eggs but once you pop them in the oven , you are good to take care of the million things you need to get done in the morning. Once, out of the oven , they are so visually appealing that kids eat them readily and it is minimum mess.. win win situation.

Ingredients -

6 eggs
1/3 cup milk
2 cups chopped spinach
1/2 onion chopped
2 small tomatoes chopped
salt and pepper to taste
Grated cheese for sprinkling on top(optional)

Method

Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a muffin tray ...I did not line them with muffin cups .

Start by chopping the onions and tomatoes. Raid your fridge and if you find any bell pepper ( no color discrimination ) chop that too . 
 

We are not done with chopping. Take some fresh spinach and show it some chopping love too. If you are using frozen spinach, make sure it is well drained.


Take the six eggs in a bowl and throw in the salt and pepper to taste . I used garlic salt for the added flavor.

Now , add the chopped veggies (onions, tomatoes and spinach) to the eggs and give it a good mix.

Pour the mix into the greased muffin pan . I hop you guys noticed that  one cavity is screaming for  attention.


Sprinkle some grated cheese on top. I used cheddar but you guys are welcome to try any or not try IE skip this step all together.

Bake in the oven for 30 - 35 minutes or till the center of the muffin is firm to touch.

While serving, spice it up with salsa or hot chili sauce as I did.

PS- Hubby gobbled three of them and actually mentioned that it was a good bake. Compliments from him are a rare occurrence so thought of sharing !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The quintessential Punjabi kadhi and Guru ka Langar !

Themed Cake for our Hercule Poirot's Christmas Book Club Party

Cottage Cheese Cookies and Gourmet Recipes !