Savory Spinach Cake and Good to be Back !

Oh Boy ! Guess who is back ? Yours truly of course !!.If you guys are reading this , then I have been successful in breaking the bloggers block( lot of b words ..I know) though full credit should go to  the lady who stopped me at the hasya kavi sammelan yesterday , introduced herself and mentioned how she enjoyed visiting my blog and trying out the recipes . Needless to say  this conversation  uplifted and inspired me enough to write a new blog post and here I am sharing with you a savory recipe of spinach cake which I made for a book club meeting last month and was an instant hit . Fellow book lovers have asked for the recipe on more than one occasion  and now, I can finally share it. Apologies for the delay but the migraine headaches were winning the battle against my already weakened enthusiasm. Hopefully , the next rounds will all be in my favor for I really hope to share my baking journey with my gentle readers.
I did not take a break from baking ..it was just the blogging which suffered. As such , I have many new recipes to share with you but for now let's concentrate on this savory spinach cake. You might be amused/surprised to read the ingredient list for this one. It has grated onions and green chillies to name a few. Did I mention curry powder ? The result is a finger licking good savory snack which can be enjoyed guilt free with a hot cup of kadak chai. Don't wait for a book club meeting to bake it , anytime you have friends over , this serves as a wonderful appetizer choice. It is quite filling as well , so you can limit those other greasy fried  snacks . I have already baked it twice as evident from the pics - once in a quiche pan and the other time in a rectangular casserole. You are free to go with your baking pan of choice.
If curious about the book club selection , I thoroughly enjoyed this 600 page historical fiction (our chosen genre for May) though keeping track of all the characters was quite a tedious job . The setting was in the court of Henry the VIII and the expected drama made for an interesting read. NPR has  a successful TV series of "Wolf Hall " and I am already looking forward to watching it. Yes , I am sucker for series inspired by books . Words can't do justice to how much I enjoyed watching "Poirot" and then re-reading the books. Books and baking are my passion and I can easily switch between the two .So, coming back to the latter , please note down the recipe for this savory spinach cake . You can also call it spinach corn cake if you are so inclined. 


Ingredients -
3 cups finely chopped spinach
1 can (400gm) can of cream style corn 
1 tsp chopped garlic
2 chopped green chillies
1 onion grated
3 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup cake flour ( 7 tbsp flour + 1 tbsp corn starch)
1/2 cup semolina or corn meal
1/2 cup chickpea flour (besan)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp curry powder
Sesame seeds for decorating

Method -
Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C or 350 degrees F . Grease and flour a quiche pan or any baking pan of your choice.
(I baked this cake  twice ..so got a chance to use both )

Sift the flours ( corn meal (or semolina) , cake flour and chickpea) in a bowl and add salt, baking powder and curry powder  . 
Add the onions , corn , spinach , garlic paste and green chillies. Mix all of them well.
In a separate bowl , whisk the  room temperature eggs , oil and milk.
Pour the egg mixture into the flour and veg mixture, It will have a thick consistency . 
Pour the batter into the baking pan and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.

Bake for a good 45- 50 mins till a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let it cool , cut into small pieces and enjoy . 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The quintessential Punjabi kadhi and Guru ka Langar !

Themed Cake for our Hercule Poirot's Christmas Book Club Party

Cottage Cheese Cookies and Gourmet Recipes !