Rosemary Poppy Seeds Biscuits or Should I say Crackers ?

Yes, before faithful blog followers  point out , let me admit it myself ..I still had some rosemary left and while not fresh had to be incorporated into a bake. Not just any other bake...mind you..a savory bake ..why?? ..because I was once again bitten by the savory bug. After baking so many sweet treats, I have developed a temporary aversion to them . Let me admanantly admit that this aversion is temporary (has happened one time too many ) , so you guys won't have to wait too long for a sweet bake. For now though, I had to satiate my savory craving and these rosemary  poppy seeds "biscuits" seemed the logical choice for my next baking adventure.

The recipe for this savory bake has been adapted from a one by "Mr.Killer Blue Eyes"  A.K.A Paul Hollywood himself . yes..I am bitten by "The Great British Bakeoff " bug too.Talking of all this biting , would like to state my ultimate fantasy. Of having  Mr.Blue Eyes taking a bite off my bake ..fixing his smoldering gaze on me and stating something complimentary . Till that happens, let me content myself by adapting his recipe for my bake. Rosemary being an addition to these biscuits was my only adaptation and you guys know the reason behind adding the herb.Personally , I like to think that the rosemary really enhanced the bake so try not to omit it.
Note : You can either use the entire dough  or freeze one half after rolling it. That way , you can be assured of a fresh out of the oven batch when the cravings hit you. For this baking adventure, I used the other half of the dough for making sundried tomato cheese biscuits and froze it for later use. A  random check of my freezer drawer will always result in dough of various seasoning resting there. The authenticity for the same can be confirmed by Mr. Roy who has to occasionaly rummage through them while trying to locate something in the freezer. 
Ingredients -
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsalted butter ( 1 stick)
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp poppy seeds
2 tbsp dried rosemary
2 oz water (more if needed)
2 eggs ( 1 for dough , one for brushing)

Method - In a bowl , take the flour, butter , salt , one egg and with the water , mix well for about 5 minutes till you have dough like consistency.
Knead the rosemary-poppy seeds into the dough on a lightly floured surface . (You may also opt for diving the dough in two parts and freezing one after rolling it).
On a lightly floured surface , roll the dough to about 3 mm thickness with the help of a rolling pin. Transfer the rolled dough to a parchmnet paper lined baking sheet , cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for about half an hour. 
Pre heat the oven to 375 degrees F . With the help of a cookie cutter , cut small rounds from the refrigerated dough and brush them with beaten egg.

Transfer to a baking tray and bake for 10- 15 minutes till they turn golden brown in color. Remove from the oven , cool on a wire rack and enjoy with  a beverage of your choice .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The quintessential Punjabi kadhi and Guru ka Langar !

Themed Cake for our Hercule Poirot's Christmas Book Club Party

Cottage Cheese Cookies and Gourmet Recipes !